Enjoy work enjoy life
Jobs at Aberdeenshire Council
Service Development Manager
Do you want to be part of an award-winning team that is transforming the way our local authority delivers services in a digital world?
Thank you for your interest in the role of Service Development Manager at Aberdeenshire Council. I wanted to add a personal message to the information contained in this microsite to emphasise the importance of this role in my senior management team.
This is a unique opportunity to join the leadership team of our digital service in Aberdeenshire at a crucial time as we move forward with our digital strategy, drive forward innovation and transform our services.
This role does not require you to have any technical skills, or indeed have worked in an ICT Service. Instead we need you to bring significant experience in supporting and delivering change, engaging with stakeholders and collaboratively challenging the status quo.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, inclusive individual. I need someone who combines excellent communication skills and good judgement with the experience and ability to lead, direct and enact change.
If the challenge of this role excites you and you think you have the skills and experience to fill the role, I look forward to hearing from you.
Head of Service – ICT
Find out more about Service Development Manager role:
- A day in the life of the post-holder
- Are you the person we need?
- Key competencies for the role
- How to apply
A day in the life of the post-holder
The role of Service Development Manager is critical to the success of our service and the successful candidate will work with our wider IT team, Council colleagues and external contacts to deliver an exciting agenda of improvement and change.
This role will be wide-ranging but a typical day might involve:
- Meeting with colleagues from the housing service to identify potential improvements from digital
- Working with the 3rd sector to develop plans for increasing the on-line skills of our communities
- Chairing a cross service group to explore better ways of managing our information
- Meeting with managers to discuss strategy and plans for the forthcoming year
Are you the person we need?
We are looking for an individual who will contribute and support the development of the Council Digital Strategy (pdf 1,045KB).
You must be an energised and dynamic leader who embraces the opportunity to challenge the status quo and has the ability to influence change.
You must enjoy working with people and have excellent written and verbal skills.
You must have the capacity to view challenges from the perspective of others, find common ground on issues and achieve positive resolutions.
You will be passionate about improvement and evidence a proven track record of taking an idea, selling it and making it happen.
This post demands excellent communication skills from a proactive and flexible team-player with the capability to collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external to the organisation.
Key competencies for the role
- Politically aware when communicating sensitive information.
- Open and non-judgemental in discussing difficult issues with others
- Presents compelling arguments by understanding and anticipating the agendas of others
- Articulate, persuasive and influential in presenting information formally and informally
- Supports and promotes a customer focused culture
- Balances customer expectations with both statutory and Council policy and resource limitations.
- Tactfully involves and consults with key stakeholders, listening to their views
- Openly appreciates and provides positive feedback to teams
- Motivates teams, providing them with clear direction and targets, and works to remove barriers
- Demonstrates trust in others to perform effectively
- Takes responsibility for teams’ performance
- Communicates the Council’s vision, helping staff to identify with how their role supports this
Planning and Managing Work
- Forecasts actions and activities needed to meet the required standards, budgets or timescales
- Forward plans in order to manage risk and/or limit damage
- Challenges recurring barriers to successful delivery, embracing the need for improvement
- Recognises the roles of partner organisations and individuals, allocating tasks accordingly
Analysis and Problem Solving
- Anticipates potential problems, minimising impact through informed forward thinking
- Timeously identifies barriers to effective service delivery and devises solutions to overcome them
- Encourages others to generate ideas, building commitment, ownership and buy in
Initiative and Decision Making
- Takes decisions on a wide range of subjects and levels of importance without upward approval
- Takes considered decisions with long term strategic consequences
- Makes transparent, yet ambitious, difficult or unpopular decisions to achieve outcomes
- Seizes opportunities to achieve results and takes personal responsibility for making things happen
- Recognises own strengths and limitations
- Demonstrates commitment to continuous development
- Actively seeks, and is open to, feedback from others on own performance