Enjoy work enjoy life
Jobs at Aberdeenshire Council

How to become a Teacher



Teaching is an extremely rewarding career and with 180 diverse and forward-thinking schools across Aberdeenshire, we are sure to have the school to suit all aspiring new Teachers.  We are one of the largest education authorities in Scotland delivering education of over 40,000 pupils.

If you are a patient, flexible and creative person with excellent communications skills and enjoy working with young people, a varied and fulfilling career in Teaching could be for you.  Aside from these personal qualitied you will need the formal qualifications and registration.



There are many routes in teaching in Scotland, whether you are at school and want to take the First steps into Teaching, looking for a Career change, Returning to Teaching or Qualified as a Teacher in another country, we can help you with next steps.



First steps into Teaching

  • You need to complete your 4 year undergraduate career in education (Honours degree in Education). Universities will ask for different qualification but most are looking for students with Higher English and National 5 in Maths and 2 other subject
  • You will need to complete a probationary teaching period of 1 school year (190 teaching days) and register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland


Changing career

Looking for a new career in Teaching?  Plenty of people have made the decision to have a career change and come to Teach in Aberdeenshire, so if you are looking to take the next step into the classroom, there are a few simple steps:

  • If you have already completed an undergraduate course you will need to complete the one-year Post Graduate Diploma in Education course (PGDE).
  • You will need to complete a probationary teaching period of 1 school year (190 teaching days) and register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland


Returning to Teaching

Lots of people return to teaching every year, whether you had a career change or just took a break from working it is relatively easy to make the transition back into the classroom.

  • You may need to re-register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland. Find out the specifics of what you need to do from the GTCS. Recent developments in Scottish education mean that things will have changed since you last practised, you may want to research this.
  • You may want to research online for a teaching refresher course, or look into updating your formal qualifications if updating your current skills is something that could be of benefit to you.


Qualified in Another Country

There are several different routes into teaching in Scotland if you are a teacher that qualified in another country who want to bring your experience and skills to Aberdeenshire.

  • If want to transfer to work in a school in Scotland, you must register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS), the governing body for the teaching profession. Generally, English teaching qualifications are transferrable.  The GTCS will assess your qualifications to make sure they meet the professional teaching criteria in Scotland.  In some cases, they may ask you to submit further evidence or documentation to support your application. You can get lots more details and information that’s relevant to you from the General Teaching Council for Scotland.


Registering with the GTCS

The General Teaching Council for Scotland is the governing body for the teaching profession.  The GTCS ensures all teachers meet the required set standards to be able to teach in Scotland.  GTCS Registration will be in the essential criteria for all Teaching jobs in Scotland so you will need to register to be able to start in the classroom.

For more information on registration please visit the General Teaching Council for Scotland website.


For more information on Funding, Loans and Bursaries please visit SAAS.