Enjoy work enjoy life
Jobs at Aberdeenshire Council
Home Care Service
Could you be instrumental in enabling people in our community to live as independently as possible? Are you the kind of person who wants more out of your job? Are you looking for a career that makes a real difference to people’s lives in your community?
Home Care is evolving…..
The role of Home Carer has changed significantly in recent times and is focussing now on 4 priority areas:-
- Enablement – The enablement aspect of the Home Carer role focusses on supporting service users to be undertake everyday tasks that ensure they are able to live as full and independent a life as possible building on their abilities. People you work with will have a support plan in place identifying areas of importance to them by following the plan as guidance during a focused period of time you will support people to achieve the best outcome for them. While working with people in an enabling way you require patience and understanding as well as being supportive, motivating and encouraging.
- ARCH (Aberdeenshire Responders for Care at Home) – ARCH is a responder service which is primarily available to service users on an unplanned and urgent basis. Home Care Responders are on duty 24 hours a day responding to fallers, unplanned care needs, out with planned visits and when required providing support with other elements of service provision. For more information click HERE
- Complex and palliative care – Home Carer’s will also be required to support service users with complex and palliative care needs with professionalism, sensitivity and compassion to service users with complex support needs and those receiving end of life care.
- Remote and rural areas – Given the vast geographical area of our beautiful region, Home Carers will be required to provide Home Care to service users in their own homes in remote and rural areas of the region.
The myth that Home Care is centered around domestic tasks needs to be dispelled! Home Care is so much more!
Working in Home Care, no two shifts will be the same. On a given day you could be supporting Bob to prepare his own meals; work with Irene to re-build her confidence in her mobility after a spell in hospital; enable Davey to manage his medications in order fulfil his end of life wishes at home; work alongside District Nurses and other Health Professionals to ensure that Betty can remain in her community and ensure that Jean gets showered and dressed in time to attend her Day Care session.
To our service users, Home Carers are vital. Not only are you instrumental in providing the support and assistance to allow them to remain in their own homes, in their own communities, but your companionship could make someone’s day! Click here to view the Job Profile
There is no typical age profile for our Home Care staff, we have young people, joining us directly from Education in the Modern Apprentice Care role as well as experienced staff, who have been with our Home Care teams for many years.
There are also opportunities for career development in Home Care – the majority of our current Care Team Co-ordinators started with us in the Home Carer role! Click here to read about Chloe’s career progression
Click here to read more about our Modern Apprenticeship – Care
Working for Aberdeenshire Council
As an employer, Aberdeenshire Council, not only offer competitive rates of pay (starting at £10.93 per hour) and a generous annual leave package (28 days per year), the local authority will:
- Provide your uniform and all required personal protective equipment
- Provide all required training
- Fund and support you to undertake your SVQ Level 2 in Care
- Pay travelling expenses between clients
- Grant access to all Aberdeenshire Council’s Employee Benefits
- Provide a hand held electronic ‘buddy’ to assist you in with your client rota
The Home Carer role includes flexible day, evening and weekend working.
The working pattern will be set shifts on a rota, with at least 2 days off per week
A driving licence and access to a vehicle is essential for the role
Various part time hours available including Relief, zero hour contracts
If you are a caring, patient, compassionate and flexible individual who understands and respects the rights of other people, Home Care could be the career for you.
To apply for this role click here